What do you want to know?
I started taking a serious interest in photography when I was 13 and my dad, who was a photographer, gave me a Ciro-Flex camera and started teaching me his craft. When we would have visits, I would bring with me all of the rolls of film he'd given me the last time, and we'd spend the weekend in his darkroom processing them. I love creating images, and I love the flexibility of digital photography, but I'd be lying if I said that anything drew me in more than watching the magic of the darkroom.
I went to college intent on getting a degree in photography, but in my Sophomore year I switched my focus to business. I graduated in 2004 with a B.A. in Marketing from Michigan State University. I had various business-related jobs from 2004-2011 and also started Nicole Mehelich Photography in 2007. After 4 years of doing both I was overwhelmed by raising 2 children, working full-time and running a photography business "on the side". I left my full-time job to focus on photography in June 2011.
Some fun facts about me:
- I have a twin sister, but when my husband first met me at our 17th birthday party, he thought I was her older sister.
- I also have 4 other sisters. I'm the youngest.
- I became an aunt at the age of 10. I now have 13 nieces and nephews.
- My oldest son's name was inspired by a character on The O.C.
- I could eat sushi almost every day.
- I danced from age 3 until a few years ago. I still choreograph in my head. I'm a proud graduate of Livonia's CAPA Dance program.
- I did an internship in 2003 at Converse, Inc in Boston. I was surrounded by shoes, a woman's dream.
- I love word games (play Scramble with me! nmehelich2)
- I'm planning a native garden for my yard. The gorgeous yard I'm dreaming up will come true eventually, and it will be amazing to take pictures there.
- When I have my camera, I get into a photographer zone that's hard to pull out of, so I often don't take pictures at parties that I throw. Thankfully my friends know this, and often take pictures for me.
- I love babies, especially newborns. Need some help with swaddling?
- I love meeting new people. I can't wait to meet you!
Do you want to know anything else? Send me a note through the contact page. I'd love to talk to you.